Intro

This blog as might be apparent from the title has to do with running, biking and basically other outdoor individualistic sports, sometimes extreme, such as rock climbing . But don't be surprised if you find articles on work, personal life, music and even philosophy, this blog is an exception in this aspect in the blogosphere of running blogs and I am trying to revamp the blog to make it more runner friendly. You might want to look at the sidebar titled 'categorised', which as is obvious, categorizes my posts into different areas of interest.
The other thing that might interest many people is a section on 'running videos' and 'general videos' on the side bar, which I keep updating now and then.
I plan to bring in more posts on running and biking, with some added colour, so as to make them 'complete'. That's about it for now.
As a post-note, I have run a half-marathon, but I am yet to attempt a marathon, which through some concerted effort and time should happen in the future, but that ofcourse is not the culmination of this blog, it would on the contrary be something to jumpstart this blog onto new vistas.




Saturday, September 23, 2006

Monsters

I don't believe they exist, but how about a monstrous hill.....ask any runner in seattle and he inevitably would have run on one...Well, I have done only three runs so far in seattle and each time I think, "hmm, looks good, today's going to be a flat, fast one..", I turn around the corner and there it is...the hill, the up-slope, the steep grade..whatever you wish to call it.
I noticed on today's run that it's much easier to run up a long hill than bike it up. I have gone on bicycle rides on some of the most treacherous hills out here in the past two weeks and yeah, its terrible. But whenever I ride up a hill, I think to myself..here's another hill training session.."The taming of the monster"...But next time I go around the same place, it doesn't get any better, despite the gears and experience.
Another good thing about today's run was that it involved 12 minutes of climbing and 7 minutes of down-hill running. Yep, I have never done that successfully before. Downhill running can be bad for your knees they say. Some also say that you should run a down-hill in an unrestrained manner...I had some success in that aspect today..Its hard to maintain your balance, avoid slippages and yet go "un-restrained" down the hill..Plus if its raining or the ground is wet , its gonna be a pretty risky thing to do.
The hill was a real long one, so by the time I had hit the flat portion on the boyer ave, the momentum from the down-hill running, saw me run abnormally fast speeds(for my current level of fitness) during the rest of the run..Anyway a great run today, hills are unavoidable and they are good for my calves and quads..so I am going for it.

No comments:

Kennenisa Bekele with the WR

Robbie Mcewen and steve o'grady - The 'Nudge'